In the category “Gesundheit” (Health), we give you an overview of the most important aspects concerning health in Germany. We explain relevant facts and procedures around the German health care system.

If you need medical support in Bremen, you have to have the form Formular “V111” or the “Gesundheitskarte der AOK”  (healthcare ID) with you.  You can get the form as well as as the healthcare ID at the Gesundheitsamt (local healthcare authority) and at the “Sozialamt” (social welfare office).

You will be treated in every medical field and will receive necessary medication.

It’s important that you will bring a translator when visiting a doctor so that your concerns can be dealt with efficiently.

  • What do I have to keep in mind when I go to a doctor in Germany?

    First of all, it is important that you arrange an appointment by telephone at the doctors office of your choice.

    For the treatment, it is very important, that you can communicate with the doctor.  The doctor will ask you exact questions to make a diagnosis and to decide what treatment you will need. Therefore, always take a translator when visiting the doctor.

  • Where do I get medicine?

    You can get medicine at the “Apotheke” (pharmacy). There is verschreibungspflichtige (only available on prescription) medicine and medicine, that is available without prescription. You can get medicine without prescription in any pharmacy. To get medicine that is only available on prescription you have to go to a doctor first. The doctor has to make an examination and write a prescription. With this prescription you can get your medicine in the pharmacy of your choice.

  • What is the "ärztliche Schweigepflicht" (medical confidentiality)?

    Doctors are not allowed to give away information about you to others without your permission – neither to authorities, nor to your employer or family members. Partly, this also applies to information on the health state of your children. For example, the gynaecologist is not allowed to pass on information to you about examination results of your 16 year old daughter without her permission.

  • What is the difference between the "Gesundheitskarte" (healthcare ID) and the form "V111"?

    The difference is, that the form “V111” is issued, if the “Gesundheitskarte” (healthcare ID) has not been issued before.

  • Where do I get the "Gesundheitskarte" (healthcare ID) or the form "V111"?

    You can get “Gesundheitskarte” of the “AOK” (healthcare ID) will be sent to you from the “Sozialamt” (social welfare office).

  • I don't have either "Gesundheitskarte" (healthcare ID) or the form "V111" - can I still get treatment?

    Generally, the German State is obliged to provide health insurance. Despite that, there are still some people who don’t have health insurance.

    The “humanitäre Sprechstunde ” (humanitarian consultation hour) is especially for refugees without papers or health insurance. Treatment is for free and anonymous.


Offers for refugees

Hier klicken, um Google Maps anzuzeigen.
Learn more in WtB Google Maps’s privacy policy.

Durch die weitere Nutzung der Seite stimmst du der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen

Die Cookie-Einstellungen auf dieser Website sind auf "Cookies zulassen" eingestellt, um das beste Surferlebnis zu ermöglichen. Wenn du diese Website ohne Änderung der Cookie-Einstellungen verwendest oder auf "Akzeptieren" klickst, erklärst du sich damit einverstanden.