bildungssystemEducational system

In Germany, children at the age from 6 to 18 years have the right and the obligation to go to school. Going to school is free. As soon as you child is 6 years old, he or she has to go to school (“Schulpflicht” = compulsory education). This obligation ends after 12 years.

The school system consists of 4 consecutive elements. It starts with the “Kindertagesstätte” (Kita, daycare-centre) for children from 0 to 6 years of age followed by the “Grundschule” (primary school) for children vom 6 to 10 years. After that, you child can attend a secondary school. Which kind of secondary school depends on the learning achievement of you child. There are “Freie Schulen”, “Oberschulen”, “Gymnasien” and “Gesamtschulen”. A detailed explanation of these different types can be found under educational system.

18 months before the start of primary school (age 6 to 10), the German language skills of you child are tested. If your child’s does not speak German well enough and needs support, he or she can take part in the “vorschulischen Sprachförderung” (pre-school language training).

  • How do I register my child for school?

    After you have found accomodation in a transitional home,  the management of this institution will give the “Schulbehörde” (supervisory school authority) notice of youre children. After that, the schools are informed. They can be informed either by the home management, by you as parent, by the advisor or the interpreter.

  • How do I pay for the school material?

    Children and teenagers in need are entitled to take, for example  on day trips, with lunch in school or child care or activities like music, sports or playing in groups and “Vereinen” (associations).

    Especially children, teenagers and young adults, who receive social welfare (for instance “Arbeitslosengeld II”, “Sozialgeld” or “Sozialhilfe”) are entitles to benefits for participation and education. That applies also to parents who receive “Kinderzuschlag” (additional benefit for children) or “Wohngeld” (benefit for accomodation). Also anybody who receives benefits according to the “Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz” (law on benefits for asylum seekers) can be entitles for that.

    You can get the application form directly in the school. After you filled it in, you hand it in at the institution from which you get other financial aids. If you need personal assistance, you can contact a cou

    Especially children, teenagers and young adult, who receive benefits like “Arbeitslosengeld II” (special type of unemployment benefit) or social welfare like “Sozialgeld” or “Sozialhilfe”, are entitled to receive support for education and participation in social life. This applies also to their parents, if they receive “Kinderzuschlag” (additional payment for children) or “Wohngeld” (benefit for accomodation). Also anybody you receives benefits according to the “Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz” (law on benefits for asylum seekers) can be entitled for it.

    You can get the “Antragsformular” (application form) directly at the school. After filling it in, you need to hand it in at the instutions, where you also get other financial aids. If you need personal assistance, please contact a counselling centre.

  • How do I get a place in a "Kita" (day care centre)?

    In Bremen, you can claim a place for you child in a “Kita” (Kindertagesstätte, day care centre) before he or she goes to school (0 to 6 years). Until the 3rd year of age, there is also the option of “Kindertagespflege” (day care with a person at their home).

    Find more information on Kinderbetreuung (child care).

  • Where can I register my child for the "vorschulische Sprachförderung" (pre-school language training)

    The school that you child is going to attend, will make an appointment with the responsible doctor for schools for a Schuleingangsuntersuchung (examination before the start of school). The school will also register all chilren with Sprachlernbedarf (need to learn German) with the “Senatorin für Kinder und Bildung” (state department for children and education). Here, they get a place in a “Vorkurs“(special school training for refugees, page in German). This intensive language training takes up to 6 months in primary school and up to 12 months in secondary school. At the same time, pupils take part in regulare lessons by the hour. In some emergency accomodations also language courses take place.

    Ask the management of your accomodation, what of offers exist there.

  • Who can give me advice on the subject "school"?

    You can find general couselling on schools under Bildungsberatung (counselling on education).

Durch die weitere Nutzung der Seite stimmst du der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen

Die Cookie-Einstellungen auf dieser Website sind auf "Cookies zulassen" eingestellt, um das beste Surferlebnis zu ermöglichen. Wenn du diese Website ohne Änderung der Cookie-Einstellungen verwendest oder auf "Akzeptieren" klickst, erklärst du sich damit einverstanden.